We are a modern, progressive and forward-thinking authority that is ambitious and empowers its employees to be courageous and innovative in their approach.
Staffordshire Legal Services is a large in-house corporate legal team, consisting of lawyers, trainees and support staff, with a key focus on staff training, retention and progression. The services supports the county council in the delivery of its objectives by providing quality services to support every single function in the council including Staffordshire pension fund, as well as to a wide range of external clients.
The successful candidate will undertake a rewarding varied caseload of commercial property related matters so previous experience of assisting/managing a commercial property caseload is essential, within either public sector or private practice.
There are a number of benefits to working at Staffordshire County Council including generous holiday entitlement, flexi time, annual leave purchase scheme, employee discounts, local government pension scheme, optional car lease scheme and a staff parking discount scheme.
We understand the importance of a work-life balance and currently offer remote working with attendance at our Stafford office on flexible patterns and in accordance with business need. We are also happy to consider requests for part-time working.
Annual Leave 27 days (increasing to 31 after 5 years Continuous service), plus Bank Holidays and 2 extra statutory days.
Responsibilities will include:
- Providing complex legal advice to clients on a variety of commercial property transactions including (but not limited to) sales, purchases, leases, development agreements including those to facilitate the delivery of new schools, highways and healthcare facilities, Compulsory purchase, option agreements, overage, lockout agreements
- Undertaking legal input into strategic legal advice and risk, including drafting Cabinet and Committee reports and attendance at meetings where required
- Supervising junior staff and delivering training where necessary
- Adhering to the Legal Services Unit’s LEXCEL quality standards
- Contributing to Staffordshire Legal Services’ marketing and selling services
- Such other duties as may reasonably be required
The Ideal Candidate
We are looking for a qualified Chartered Legal Executive, Solicitor or Barrister with:
- Sound commercial property knowledge
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to prioritise a varied workload
- Local authority knowledge preferred but not essential
- Strong I.T skills
If you are unsure if your skills and experience are suitable for this role or for an informal chat please contact Mair Young, Team Senior on 01785 276200 or at firstname.lastname@example.org or Vanessa Rigby, Team Senior on 01785 854915 or at email@example.com.
About Staffordshire County Council
We are no ordinary county council:
The core of who we are as an organisation. Just like we all have personal values that shape our thoughts and behaviour, organisational values drive how we think and act collectively.
Our values were created and shaped by colleague feedback and national best practice and they sit at the heart of People Strategy:
We have a real sense of community spirit that brings our people together. This feeling of belonging means we are all connected to what we do and take pride in the difference we make every day for Staffordshire people. We are ambitious and our sights are set firmly on a better future.
We look forward and race ahead - that goes for your career too.
We recognise that it is our employees that are central to everything we do. We aim to create a supportive working environment where employees can achieve their full potential and achieve a healthy work-life balance.
In addition to your salary, as a member of staff, you will have access to a range of benefits.
Our recruitment process:
As an Authority we are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people/vulnerable adults and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Staffordshire County Council is an equal opportunities organisation and Disability Confident employer. We encourage applications from all background and communities
As part of our commitment as a Disability Confident employer, a Silver Award Armed Forces employer and our commitment to supporting care leavers - we offer a guaranteed interview as long as your application meets the minimum criteria for the post.